- Mon, Jun 28, 2004 /
- Add your comment
Sorry for the delay in this e-mail update, we had hoped to send an update earlier in the week, however, Ally was keeping us too busy.. The week started out okay with Ally doing well with her feedings. On Monday when her surgeon saw her she was very optimistic and pleased with Ally's feeding progress.
Unfortunately, Ally started with a fever late Tuesday night continuing into Wednesday. On Wednesday Ally ran a temperature between 104 and 105 the majority of the day, and we got it down to 103 by Wednesday night. Thursday her temp never went over 101. Along with the temperature came numerous blood and urine cultures. Ally had a Staph infection in her broviac central line, bacteria in her urine and also a yeast infection. She was started on numerous antibiotics again and as of today the infections seem to be under control. It is actually amazing that Ally has gone this long without an infection in her central line and we of course attribute this to the superb care that she has been receiving.
As of Thursday night Ally had made it to 8cc. of formula per hour, which was astounding progress. Also that night Ally received yet another blood transfusion and later had difficulty breathing and was put on a nasal canula to assist her with her breathing. Unfortunately, when I arrived at the hospital Friday morning I was informed of some more complications. Ally's fistula was having a considerable amount of drainage and we resorted to an ostomy bag to keep the area clean and prevent her skin from breaking down . On Saturday Ally's feedings were stopped and she was placed on a medication again that should help to close the fistula. Today was pretty uneventful and Ally seemed to be getting some of personality back.
Tomorrow we hope to meet with Ally's surgeon and come up with a plan to heal the fistula and to not restart feeds until we feel that the fistula is completely healed. Hope to update you again in the middle of the week.