- Tue, May 30, 2006 /
- Add your comment
Not sure why I would think that we would ever get a break or vacation from a hospital, but Friday we had all planned to take some time and spend it with our families in the mountains. Of course Ally had plans of her own.
Friday, after spending the morning packing the car to the roof, we finally were on our way to the mountains. When we got there the weather was not so great, but we made the best of it. We spent a few hours fishing, and then ate dinner with gram and pop. The whole day Friday, Ally just did not seem right. Thursday night she was up tossing and turning and even had a slight fever. This should have been our warning, but when she woke Friday, she was fine. So we continued our plans. Friday came and gone and as night came, Ally started down hill. First needing oxygen, then came the high heart rates. Needless to say we spent another night without much sleep.
Saturday morning we knew we had to make the long 4.5 hour trip to duPont to have Ally checked. Ashley stayed behind to continue her vacation with the family, only making our trip that much harder knowning we couldn't be together as a family. On the way to duPont the excitement continued. Just before arriving at the hospital, we were pulled over by a state trooper. Quick thinking and getting some alarms to sound off in the car with Ally's equipment does wonders for getting out of tickets! The cop realized the situation and left us go. Yeah!!!
We spent the next 4 hours in the ER getting blood cultures from Ally's central line to check for an infection. After waiting and finding nothing from the results, we were allowed to go home. But the fun didn't stop there.
Sunday morning at 4 a.m. the ER callled to say we had to bring Ally right away that her results finally grew out an infection in her line. So we again packed the car and arrived at duPont only this time we were admitted to the floor. We spent most of the day Sunday in the hospital receiving antibiotics for the line infection. After getting clearance to do the rest of the treatments at home, we finally made it back home later that night.
Then there was Monday. As we were getting ready to give Ally another dose of antibiotics we discovered that her line was unable to be flushed. Right then you know you just bought another ticket to the ER. So off we went this morning. I think today was the worst, mostly because we were exhausted from the days before. We spent another 5 hours in the ER for the third day straight, and with a little luck we were able to use TPA to open the line and draw back blood from it. Great news!!! If this hadn't had worked we would be there for a least a day or two, and would have most likely needed a new central line.
After missing the entire weekend off, we were still able to keep Ally home!
Its funny we drove a total of about 800 miles, spent $120 or more in gas, didn't get much sleep, missed time to enjoy ourselves as a family, and yet still feel lucky to just be home as of tonight. I guess we learned that at anytime things could change for the worst and that you should enjoy anytime that is a good time when you have the chance!
Ally will continue the anitbiotic treatment this week in the hope that the infection clears. Hope everyone had a great holiday, and we will update again as things progress.